The Complete Guide To Fat Burning Supplements
Fat burning supplements have become a billion dollar industry, but with so many to choose from, which is the best burner for you?
What Are Fat Burners?
Fat burners are supplements that contain specific herbs and chemicals that either increase energy, suppress your appetite and/or stimulate your metabolism.
The Benefits of Fat Burners
- Increasing your basal metabolic rate. (BMR)
- Suppresses your appetite.
- Reduces water retention.
- Increases your energy and focus.
- Promotes thermogenesis.
- Improves muscular definition.
BMR is the amount of energy (in the form of calories) that your body needs to function while resting for 24 hours. You can calculate your BMR here.
Types of Fat Burning Supplements
Stimulants increase our level of energy, burn stored body fat and increase the metabolism.
Appetite suppressants and dietary fibre give you a full, satisfied feeling that prevent binge eating and cravings.
Thermogenic supplements help to increase your metabolism after you’ve taken them which allows your body to burn more calories even when you’re resting.
Fat Burning Supplement Ingredients
- After you ingest caffeine, your metabolism is slightly increased for several hours as a result of lipolysis. It also helps you to burn fat.
- Green tea contains both catechins and caffeine. Both catechins and caffeine can help reduce your caloric intake and speed up metabolism.
- Studies show that combining both ingredients contributes to weight loss more so than if they’re consumed separately.
- R-ALA is a form of Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA). It removes sugar from your blood and breaks down sugar to aid with the production of ATP.
- This helps convert carbohydrates into energy so it’s not stored as fat.
- Hydroxycitric acid (HCA) is an extract from the fruit of the garcinia cambogia tree which helps your body to burn fat.
- Advocates of HCA have outlined that it reduces your appetite and makes you feel full.
White Kidney Bean Extract
- If you find controlling your carbohydrate and fat intake difficult, choose fat burners that contain fat or carbohydrate blockers.
- This will allow you to enjoy the same foods without it affecting your weight loss.
- White kidney bean extract (phaseolus vulgaris) is a well-known carbohydrate blocker that reduces the amount of carbohydrates that your body absorbs.
Seafood Shell Extract Chitosan
- Seafood shell extract chitosan binds up dietary fat and removes it from your body before you absorb it and store it as body fat.
- Fat burners containing natural diuretics such as horsetail extract, dandelion (taraxacum officianilis) extract or uva ursi (also known as bearberry) will help to get the extra water off so your body stays lean and muscular.
- Phenylethylamine, which is a metabolite of the amino acid phenylalanine, has been proven to boost mental capacity and mood.
- Phenylethylamine also increases your calorie burning capacity.
- As soon as fat is released from the fat storage cells, ideally it will be used by the body as fuel.
- If it isn't, it will stay in the blood stream and find its way back to the fat cells and get stored for later use.
- Because of this, it’s important to use a fat burner that also augments your calorie burning capacity.
- An increase in the amount of calories your body burns will help to burn up more of the fat that lipolytic ingredients release from your fat cells.
- Carnitine helps to transport the freed-up fat into the mitochondria of cells (including muscle cells). The mitochondria are like tiny fires that burn up fat as fuel.
- These ingredients also cause lipolysis. Lipolysis releases fat from the body’s fat cells.
- When fat is removed from the fat cells the fat can be used as energy which results in the fat cells shrinking.
- Look out for supplements containing caffeine and/or yohimbe.
How To Use Fat Burners Effectively
1. Put In The Work
- Unfortunately, there are no wonder pills. Simply using a fat burning supplement won’t make you lean.
- If you put work into your nutrition and training, using a high quality fat burner will make your goals easier.
- Most fat burning supplements will curb your appetite, boost your energy and increase fat-burning in your body.
2. Stay Hydrated
- Fat burners elevate your metabolism which means you’ll sweat more. Make sure that you’re drinking at least three to four litres of water every day.
- Studies have shown that water increases your metabolism and supports fat loss (as well as keeping you hydrated!).
- It's recommended that you drink at least 250 ml of water with each dose of a fat burner for optimum hydration support and absorption.
- If you are sweating for long periods or training in a hot environment, you might need to increase your water intake accordingly.
3. Eat Enough Protein
- By increasing your protein intake, your metabolism will increase and you will be able to maintain your muscle mass.
- Did you know, the body burns more calories when you eat protein as opposed to digesting carbohydrates and/or fats.
- Studies have confirmed that eating more protein has proven fat-burning effects on the body.
- Many of the participants within the study gained muscle mass by simply eating a high-protein diet, without working out.
4. Plan Around Your Meals
- Schedule taking your fat burners in between your meals during the day.
- This will allow you to get most energy from your supplement and it won’t affect your mealtimes.
- Avoid taking your fat burner after 6pm as it can lead to a restless night’s sleep.
5. Control Your Insulin Intake
- When your insulin levels rise (for example: after a meal containing carbohydrates) fat burning shuts down and fat storage increases.
- This will directly affect your fat burning goals.
- If you’re unable to keep your carbohydrate intake low while you’re dieting, consider fat burners that have added ‘’insulin lowering’’ ingredients.
6. Get Plenty of Sleep
- Sleep is needed for hormonal balance, recovery and repair.
- It has been proven that sleep deprivation can lead to decreased testosterone and increases in blood cortisol so make sure you’re getting eight hours rest every night.
7. Be Realistic
- When it comes to fat burning supplements, it’s important that you’re realistic with your expectations.
- For an average, healthy person, the safe rate of fat loss is 1 - 3 pounds per week.
8. Measure Your Results
- Assess your progress after 2-3 weeks.
- You can do this by taking body part and body fat measurements, using a weighing scale and taking progression photos.
9. Cycle Your Fat Burner
- The best way to know if you need to cycle your fat burners is by assessing how you feel when you're on them.
- If after a few weeks you find that you’re no longer getting the same kick you used to get from a regular dose, it's time to take a break—not more product.
The Best Fat Burning Supplements
Here at Supplement Mart, we have a range of effective fat burning supplements to suit your workout: